Brexit is being decided tomorrow (sort of)
Crucial votes are happening on Tuesday and Wednesday on the EU Withdrawal Bill – make sure your MP is on board11th June 2018
This week will see a series of important parliamentary votes on Brexit. What happens in the House of Commons could derail the Tories’ Brexit plans – and we should bring maximum pressure to bear on MPs.
The EU Withdrawal Bill (formerly known as the Great Repeal Bill) is supposedly the piece of legislation that attempts to make sense of our laws and rights after Brexit, taking EU law and putting it into British law. But for the Tories, it’s a lot more than that. They’ve used it as an excuse to take away powers from parliament and hand them to the executive; to take away major human rights protections; and to deprive parliament of a proper say on the final deal.
On Tuesday and Wednesday, MPs will vote on amendments inserted by the House of Lords. From a left wing anti-Brexit perspective, we think that the most important is Amendment 19, which ensures that parliament has the power to decide what happens if Theresa May’s Brexit deal is rejected. This would mean that parliament could reject the vote and then call a referendum on the terms of the deal – giving the people a chance to decide their own future.
There are also a range of progressive amendments such as:
- Amendment 3, which guarantees EU Environmental protections
- Amendment 5, which would retain the EU’s Charter of Fundamental Rights, vital human rights protections
- Amendments 10, 43, 45, which limits the Henry VIII powers (i.e. May’s powergrab)
- Amendment 24 from Alf Dubs on child refugees
What you can do:
- Write to your MP immediately and make the case that they should vote for Amendment 19. The people and their elected representatives must have the right to determine what happens next.
- Share this blogpost on social media.
- Spread the word about our upcoming Left Against Brexit tour
National Committee elections 2018: candidate statements
Please read these candidate statements before voting. A voting link has been emailed to all members. Read more »
Report: what happened at conference?
Another Europe has a plan and has had a lively democratic conference - read about it here. Read more »
Another Europe conference: final agenda and papers
This is a vital moment - don't miss out on your opportunity to shape our strategy. Read more »
Our strategy, our democracy - open to amendment
You can have a democratic say in what we do and how we function - you just need to join and attend our conference on December 8th. Read more »
Another Europe conference: agenda and line up announced
On December 8th, you can be part of Another Europe - to decide our strategy and discuss what is happening. Read more »